Student Work Sample
Reflections of a Lesson
The lesson implemented this week focused on physical and chemical changes. To activate prior knowledge of students were given two different types of nails in a cup of water to observe the weekend. Observations were made in a journal and were asked to include any questions they made have had. Discussion were held the following Monday. I posed a couple questions to them , What caused the rust ? and why did one nail rust and not the other one?
Excellent transition to the main inquiry of the lesson, an excellent tranisiton into the focus of the inquiry, whether a substance undergoes a chemical or physical change and the sings that would indicate a change.
Students rotated to each of the six science centers performing the simple experiments in their cooperative learning groups. Data was entered on the group's data charts. Abundant conversations took place during the investigations. My co-teacher and myself facilitated groups by encouraging groups in science conversation. and to take risks. We used this time to informally assess knowledge of the content and reconcile any differences any of the groups had about their reasoning or answers.
The assessments I differentiated were due to the diverse learning styles in the inclusion classroom. They consisted of, but not in any particular order, a pencil and paper test, a reading passage where students underlined the physical and chemical changes, each group presented findings of a particular center and then presented it to the class. the fourth which is on-going process is the development of a PowerPoint presentation on physical and chemical changes.
Improvements and/or revisions that I would make would be to integrate more technology into the lesson, by having the students themselves increase their use digital cameras in the recording of their observations. Another would to make available the use of computers to research a question that they may have during their investigation.
Time constraints had a part to play in the formation of this lesson. At the elementary level science is not taught on a daily basis and needed to double up on subject areas.
The lesson provided me with positive observations. Students finely tuned their observation and improve their reasoning skills. Positive interaction took place among the students. A degree of student dialogue took place among the students in the groups. This lesson made me aware of the need to revisit science unit/lessons that I have constructed during the past couple of years to revise them and correspond to the types of scientific inquiry.
Reflections of a Lesson
The lesson implemented this week focused on physical and chemical changes. To activate prior knowledge of students were given two different types of nails in a cup of water to observe the weekend. Observations were made in a journal and were asked to include any questions they made have had. Discussion were held the following Monday. I posed a couple questions to them , What caused the rust ? and why did one nail rust and not the other one?
The assessments I differentiated were due to the diverse learning styles in the inclusion classroom. They consisted of, but not in any particular order, a pencil and paper test, a reading passage where students underlined the physical and chemical changes, each group presented findings of a particular center and then presented it to the class. the fourth which is on-going process is the development of a PowerPoint presentation on physical and chemical changes.
Improvements and/or revisions that I would make would be to integrate more technology into the lesson, by having the students themselves increase their use digital cameras in the recording of their observations. Another would to make available the use of computers to research a question that they may have during their investigation.
Time constraints had a part to play in the formation of this lesson. At the elementary level science is not taught on a daily basis and needed to double up on subject areas.
The lesson provided me with positive observations. Students finely tuned their observation and improve their reasoning skills. Positive interaction took place among the students. A degree of student dialogue took place among the students in the groups. This lesson made me aware of the need to revisit science unit/lessons that I have constructed during the past couple of years to revise them and correspond to the types of scientific inquiry.
I love the idea of sending the nails home for observation. What type of school do you work at? I work at a school with a high poverty rate. I have a hard time getting homework turned in, but this is much better than a worksheet. I wonder if my students would reflect in their journals.
ReplyDeleteI have many activities where the students are traveling from station to station. The students enjoy the feeling of conducting many mini experiments. I love hearing all the science talk this situation brings up.
Great lesson!!
I teach chemical and physical changes at the seventh grade level. When we get past the snow days, that is what I will be teaching this week. I like how you sent the nails home and had the students place them in different solutions. That would make a good connection to the lesson I just finished about pH levels. I'm with Hollie in saying that is the kind of homework my students would want to do.
ReplyDeleteIs the substance in your video cornstarch and water? Every now and again, my son gets the urge to make a batch of it at home.
Hollie,
ReplyDeleteThank you for the kind words! I teach in a Title I district 4th grade. The students do not receive much science homework, so when I gave it to them it were enthused. this particular assignment was given over the Thanksgiving weekend as a activating knowledge activity. Had some positive responses and the students raises interesting questions when making their observations.
Ann,
ReplyDeleteThe part of the experiment with the different solutions took place in the classroom after the original weekend assignment. I chose 6 different solutions from fruit punch to shower cleaner to lemon juice and soda. Let it sit for a couple of days, observed the nails to see which one removed the rust the best. Again, a god number of questions were raised.
Wow Mark, This was a great way to get your students and even your parents involve, being that they took home the nails. I really like the rotation from stations and the differentiated assessments. This allowed every student an opportunity to succeed in your lesson. I do understand how sometimes time can get the way. Great experiment!
ReplyDeleteMark,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed seeing how engaged the students are in this lesson. It really is sad that often times students are not given homework in science. In fact at one school, science homework was not allowed, because Math and English were the priorities. I think a short homework assignment like this is great for kids to do with their parents and bring in that parental interaction.
~Charity