To My Fellow Candidiates:
Outside my inclusion classroom I believe I have affected change in science education at my school. As the "unofficial" science coordinator at my school, many teachers of science have sought my advice on quality science lessons and activities. In addition I have modeled inquiry standards based science lessons in my classroom as part of our school's on-going peer professional development. These particular lessons integrated other content areas such as mathematics, language arts and technology. Last year, as coordinator, I, along with the science fair committee, implemented a standards based science fair. Using the scientific method, students collaborated in teams on a given science topic that had to be presented to a panel of judges.
From a district perspective, several years ago I served on the district's science curriculum committee in bringing Full Option Science System, FOSS, inquiry based kits into our district. Currently as a committee, along with our mathematics and science, we are exploring new inquiry based science kits that have more of a literacy component to it.
I think I can say with certainty an obstacle that most us as science educators have is ample time to effectively implement our science programs. In this day of high stakes testing under the requirements of NCLB, science education in many schools is often put on the back burner. Unless reforms are made to NCLB to include science as part of the requirements, this will be a challenge difficult to overcome. Science needs to be on a equal plane as language arts literacy and mathematics in order to for our country remain a competitive and tcchnologically innovative power in a 21st century global economy.
Mark
ReplyDeleteI agree with your state that science education is placed on the back burner in most counties due to NCLB. The government must make significant change to science at the elementary level. Elementary students deserve the right to receive a foundation in science in order to be successful in middle and high school courses. The government needs to provide money to schools to effectively train teachers on hands-on, problem-based inquiry lessons, purchase equipment that will excited and motivate students, and make schools accountable for student gains.
Mark,
ReplyDeleteI am in awe of everything you do to further science education for your students, your school, and your district. It is passion for science education like you have that will allow true change to happen for future generations of teachers as well as students.
~Charity